Friday, August 28, 2015

Rata And The God Of The Forest

One dark night I, the Totara tree, was standing peacefully until Rata came out of his whare and tried to climb up my trunk.  I cried and made it slippery so he fell to the ground. Luckily he stood up and went back to his whare.
The next day he came out of his whare and cut me down with his sharp axe. It was probably hard so he went away but as he walked my father, the god of the forest, stood me back up. Rata turned around and was very surprised, then cut me down again.
He hid behind a rock and saw the god of the forest [my dad]. Rata said he was very sorry and apologized. After that he was allowed to cut me down.
He then carved me into a waka and sailed away to greater land.



                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment